Slightly Stir Crazy

At last I'm sitting at my desk and am back to almost eight hours a day painting. However it's difficult at times because my knee is very impatient to get better. My young friend has been terrific over these past three weeks in every way, and I'm sure I wouldn't have performed my exercises properly without her. I hadn't realised the pain would last so long as it has (and weeks more to go). The incision wound is healing nicely - it needed 22 staples which were removed last week - and left such a neat scar that myf said that only a woman could have sewn it together that well!

With a bit of difficulty getting into the car we were able to spend a couple of days in Suffolk last weekend and stayed with her parents. I felt a bit useless on crutches but managed. Now I'm promoted to just one - which means I can at least carry a few things when needed with the other hand.
Just a week after getting home again I started on a miniature of a secretary bird we'd seen recently. It took a while to paint as I could only manage a couple of hours a day at first. Here she is.

Val, my sister-in-law, had an eye operation last week. She's doing well and on Sunday she invited us to a nice roast lunch. Stew (my nephew) and Tina came too. I have been a bit 'stir crazy' lately, not being able to get around much, but things are easing up a bit now. One of the things we bought from the hospital was an ice machine. Specially made for reducing the swelling on new knees I must say it does help - especially lately when the pain got a bit intrusive at night. But now I've started professional physio at Activate8 in Henley my progress can be monitored. Last week I had to lay on a sort of rack while my leg was pulled, bent and stretched. I also sat on the exercise bike but couldn't quite do complete revolutions. So this Thursday my goal is to pedal all the way round.
My friends, Tom and Eleanor, very kindly picked me up on Tuesday and drove me to Warborough where we have sculpture sessions. I'm making a bronze head of Debbie McGee - it's about half way done so far. Really good to get back to sculpture. About six of us attend the three hour class. Very relaxing.
It's Monday today and I've just completed a small pencil drawing of my friend Norman Topsom.

My cousin Paul and his friend Em came over last Friday and we all went out for dinner at the Hawell restaurant in Wargrave. Really good. The decor is so stylish, the chairs are comfortable, and the service is impeccable. Oh, and the food is great too. I had my favourite - sizzling Tandoori King Prawns with Peshwari Naan. Paul's new car intrigued the girls in the back seat with its full glass ceiling which afforded them a great sight of the star studded sky.